What will Beau's first report card be like? I am wondering this as I am intrigued with his learning style. When we do flashcards he typically agrees to go through two-five cards and then really wants to go back to one we already did and just talk about that one. We can never make it very far through the stack. Lately when I ask him what color something is all he will say is what it is not. If I ask what color his duck is he will say ,"It's not blue. It's not red." He typically never gives me the answer. When we work on shapes he says a circle is a basketball, a square is a box, a heart is a butterfly, a triangle is pizza, he will not answer for a rectangle, and a star is actually a star. He always answers with these same response. He is not really wrong but...... Beau obviously has a creative mind - which I love about him. Thinking back to my psychology class on early childhood development and then reviewing the process of assimilation on the internet I was reminded about Piaget thought that "children make the world whatever they wish with little regard to reality." It seems like Louie was born with a sense of "reality" and what is expected of him in this world. By age three he not only listed typical shapes but also trapezoid, parallelogram, and rhombus because he would do as I say. As I am sure you have previously read that Beau is strong willed and not a natural listener. As I think of Piaget statement I realize that he is probably wondering why I would call a circle and boring name like circle when it could be something cool like a basketball. I do wish that he would cooperate a bit more when we do our school time, but I will try to realize that I do not need to fully pull him into the reality of this world quite yet :@)!!

No comments:
Post a Comment